Thursday, June 08, 2006

What use is a music degree if you don't make the concert platform?

There are hundreds of good musicians out there who after training either choose not to, or have circumstances dictate that they never perform on a grand scale to audiences around the world, despite all the training and practice. In an article I was reading in The Guardian newspaper, it seems that many of them are considering a career in music therapy.

I went into music therapy for just that reason. I knew that I didn't want to perform, and honestly didn't have the dedication or application to work myself to the level that was needed, but also really wanted to earn a living through using music. When travelling in the States in 1999 I heard about music therapy, and it put togther my two interests; music and personal development.

Since 2002, I have been working as a music therapist, working primarily with children, and now under the musicatwork brand, developing HR/personnel development training courses using techniques from music therapy, mixed with coaching, debriefing and other tools to facilitate training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home